We think we’ve mastered the art of the perfect paella.
You can be the judge every Wednesday, when a version of the classic recipe is prepared on the Collins Square plaza for guests to take away from 5pm.
But if you are up for the challenge, home cooks can prepare our seafood, chicken and chorizo version for a weekend fiesta by following the recipe below.
600g Calasparra rice – Half bunch parsley, chopped
5 large tiger prawns – 2 lemons – cut into 6
200g calamari – 200g fresh or frozen peas
200g fresh mussels – 30g sweet paprika
300g chorizo – Pinch of ground saffron
200g chicken thighs – 20g garlic powder
2 large white onions – 100g chopped tomato
3 assorted capsicum – 80ml extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic – 1.2 litres fresh chicken stock
4 fresh tomatoes, grated
1. Heat oil over medium in a large skillet or paella pan.
2. Roast the onions and peppers, then add the chicken and chorizo.
3. As the meat cooks, add garlic and all the spices to the mix. Next, add the rice and roast it for a few minutes. Finally, add the fresh chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
4. When the rice is 90% cooked, add the tomato and arrange the seafood.
5. Once the seafood is cooked, finish the paella with peas and chopped parsley.